This time of year is the time for us all to be closer to our families and really spend time cherishing what we have a little more. So many families unfortunately don't get to do things or give gifts to one another like we do and even the simplest little things to us are huge to them. Such as a glass of milk. Yep, one glass of milk. Think of how many glasses of milk are set out each year on Christmas Eve for Santa, along with a few cookies - and 9 times out of 10 that milk is either left out all night and then trashed in the morning or a little is drank and the rest is pourn out. Am I right?
Now go think of all the children that are throughout the world and how that one glass of milk would be the absolute highlight of their day and bring such joy to their lives. Families that depend on Feeding America food banks receive less than one gallon of milk per person, per year. Can you believe that? Milk is such an essential for our little ones for strong bones and a great calcium source and they receive so little.
On average, food bank clients receive the equivalent of less than one gallon of milk per person per year, leaving many families with limited access to milk’s essential nutrients, including 8 grams of high-quality protein per serving and three of the top nutrients most likely to be missing in the American diet – calcium, vitamin D and potassium.
- To date, 194,000 gallons have been donated as part of the industry’s ongoing commitment to helping families get much-desired nutrient-rich milk.
- This holiday season, you can help make the season brighter for hungry families with the gift of milk by donating at www.MilkLife.com/give
- By entering your zip code, you can ensure that milk is delivered to a local food bank to help nourish children in your own community.
Holiday Impact: Gallons are Gifts
During the holidays – a time when one third of annual giving happens – we can help make the season brighter for hungry families in our communities with the gift of nutrient-rich milk. While you give thanks for what you have this year, take action against the issue of hunger:
- Make a donation online. Starting Giving Tuesday (December 2) through December 31, America’s dairy farmers and milk companies will match all donations made at http://clvr.li/1xDDJdX making milk gallons multiply at your local food bank this holiday season. By entering your zip code, you can ensure that milk is delivered to a local food bank to help nourish children in your own community.
- Spread the word. For every share of this Great American Milk Drive video (below), a one-gallon donation will be made to one of the more than 200 food banks served by Feeding America.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.